Can plants feel pain? Use the telephone? Set traps for their prey? We uncover the secret lives of plants – from seedlings to houseplants to trop...
Sending flowers is a wonderful gesture that will brighten most anyone’s day. Whether it is for a special occasion or just a small act of kindness, bou...
This summer, the global business climate was shaken by events in Greece and China. Despite evidence of economic strength in the United States and a co...
Good news for holiday retail! Personal income growth may be stubbornly flat, but consumers are enthusiastic about the upcoming shopping season. Our 30...
Vijfhuizen, Friday October 30. Five days before IFTF 2015 will open its doors, the International Floriculture Trade Fair is being built up almost arou...
MY MIND IS EXPLODING!!!! …..with the LOW-down and HIGH-lights from three of the largest trend expositions in Europe: epic ideas in product innovation,...
We all know flowers are colorful and beautiful…but edible? That’s what residents of Bogota, Colombia’s restaurant scene are discovering. Colombia feed...
Ancient Egyptians dubbed aloe vera the “plant of immortality”. You may have used aloe vera already if you’ve ever experienced a bad sunburn; it’s the ...
KENNETT SQUARE, PA- Longwood Gardens is anything but dreary this winter. The heated 4-acre conservatory transports guests into a warm oasis featuring ...
There’s an angry divisive tension in the air that threatens to make modern politics impossible. Elizabeth Lesser explores the two sides of human...
Daily News Feed
- Obama to ask for $1.8 billion to fight Zika at home, abroad8 February 2016, 12:43 pm
On Monday, U.S. President Obama asked Congress for $1.8 billion to fight Zika, including millions in foreign aid. The article Obama to ask for $1.8 billion to fight Zika at home, abroad appeared first on The City Paper Bogotá. ...
- Colombia considers most sweeping LGBT protections yet8 February 2016, 11:51 am
A draft presidential decree organizes government entities and guarantees rights and protections for Colombia's LGBTI citizens. The article Colombia considers most sweeping LGBT protections yet appeared first on The City Paper Bogotá. ...
- World War Zika: Colombia confronts a growing pandemic7 February 2016, 10:29 am
For clues in the fight against Zika, Colombia looks back at another Latin American epidemic spread by the same mosquito. The article World War Zika: Colombia confronts a growing pandemic appeared first on The City Paper Bogotá. ...
- What it’s like to have Chikungunya, Zika’s agonizing cousin6 February 2016, 9:40 am
Zika is grabbing headlines at the moment, but its viral relative Chikungunya typically causes much more devastating symptoms. The article What it’s like to have Chikungunya, Zika’s agonizing cousin appeared first on The City Paper Bogotá. ...
- Obama announces new $450 million ‘Peace Colombia’ plan4 February 2016, 5:50 pm
President Obama and President Santos announced Thursday “Peace Colombia,” a $450 million successor to Plan Colombia. The article Obama announces new $450 million ‘Peace Colombia’ plan appeared first on The City Paper Bogotá. ...
- A Nature-Inspired Drawing Event — With a Dance Twist8 February 2016, 12:00 am
For a plant-themed evening at the new Prospect Heights art and meditation space Inner Fields, 10 participants sketched dead flowers and a live ballerina....
- The Venus Flytrap, a Plant That Can Count2 February 2016, 12:00 am
By wiring up the insect-eating plant, scientists found that it counted the electrical impulses that came from trigger hairs on its leafy jaws....
- A Gentleman in the Water Lilies25 January 2016, 12:00 am
A poem about the retrieval of a young woman’s earring from the murky waters of a pond in the Brooklyn Botanic Garden....
- A Start-Up That Aims to Bring Back the Farm-to-Vase Bouquet10 January 2016, 12:00 am
The locavore movement urges buying food produced in one’s immediate region. Farmgirl Flowers is trying to do the same for flowers....
- Review: In ‘The Cabaret of Plants,’ Richard Mabey Demonstrates Their Richness4 January 2016, 12:00 am
In his new book, the British naturalist writes about how plants are aware of their environment in a way we have yet to comprehend....
- New mother Cat Deeley flaunts her lithe legs in a floral green mini dress as she treats herself to a spot of R&R - Daily Mail8 February 2016, 7:20 pm
Daily MailNew mother Cat Deeley flaunts her lithe legs in a floral green mini dress as she treats herself to a spot of R&RDaily MailEmbracing the warm winter weather, Cat opted for a chic retro look as she channelled a Boho vibe in her floral-print garment. Slipping into the floaty smock-like number, Cat drew attention to her long and tanned legs - thanks to her garment's thigh ......
- Alicia Vikander, Rachel McAdams and Rooney Mara Opt for Flirty, Floral, Season-Pushing Dresses at the Oscars ... - PEOPLE StyleWatch8 February 2016, 6:50 pm
PEOPLE StyleWatchAlicia Vikander, Rachel McAdams and Rooney Mara Opt for Flirty, Floral, Season-Pushing Dresses at the Oscars ...PEOPLE StyleWatchIt may be snowing in N.Y.C. right now, but at the Oscars Luncheon in Beverly Hills, temps were just starting to heat up. Stars, including Alicia Vikander, Rachel McAdams and Rooney Mara, all opted for bright-colored, floral-print minidresses, leaving ...and more »...
- Floral Bouquets say 'I Love You' this Valentine's Day - WHIZ8 February 2016, 5:43 pm
Floral Bouquets say 'I Love You' this Valentine's DayWHIZValentine's Day is just days away and many are rushing to find a gift for their special someone. Over 19 billion dollars is expected to be spent on sweethearts in the United States this holiday and Greg Orofino has been in the business of love for over ......
- Chicago florist helps refugees' dreams bloom - The Guam Daily Post (press release) (registration)8 February 2016, 2:42 pm
The Guam Daily Post (press release) (registration)Chicago florist helps refugees' dreams bloomThe Guam Daily Post (press release) (registration)Siphon Edidi from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, at center, blows on a rose to open it up as she and other area refugees participate in a workshop to learn floral skills on Jan. 23, at Flowers for Dreams in Chicago. Anthony Souffle/Chicago Tribune.and more »...
- Washington floral artist's freedom firmly rooted in federal, state constitutional law - The Baptist Message8 February 2016, 1:58 pm
The Baptist MessageWashington floral artist's freedom firmly rooted in federal, state constitutional lawThe Baptist MessageOLYMPIA, Wash. – Alliance Defending Freedom filed a brief Friday with the Washington Supreme Court that answers arguments the state and the American Civil Liberties Union have made in favor of government discrimination against a floral artist, whom ...and more »...
- ICYMI Balance states’ rights with e-commerce4 February 2016, 10:57 am
In an op-ed published in the Argus Leader yesterday, state Senator Deb Peters of South Dakota urged Congress to consider common-sense legislation to address both taxes on Internet access and e-commerce....
- Here We Go Again - NY, NJ Port Walkout Could Have Negative Economic Repercussions2 February 2016, 8:28 am
An unexpected walkout by longshoremen today shut down port operations at the nation’s largest east coast port. The unexpected strike has retailers concerned that a prolonged strike could hamper economic growth and wreak havoc on spring deliveries....
- RILA Reacts to EEOC Reporting Proposal29 January 2016, 4:11 pm
RILA issued the following statement in response to a proposal from the EEOC that would require businesses with 100 or more employees to report compensation data for ten job classifications broken down by race, ethnicity, and gender....
- RILA Elects Retail CEOs to Board of Directors25 January 2016, 9:17 am
RILA announced today that nine top retail executives have been elected to the association's Board of Directors....
- Call for Entries 2016 Retail AP Innovation Awards22 January 2016, 10:35 am
RILA, the trade association for the world's largest and most innovative retail companies, today announced it is now accepting applications for the 2016 Retail AP Innovation Awards....
- ShopRite debuts premium PL frozen shrimp8 February 2016, 4:33 pm
ShopRite has introduced a new frozen shrimp line under its premium private label brand that is preservative- and antibiotic-free, and sustainably sourced. read more...
- Supplements: Big growth opportunities for grocery retailers8 February 2016, 3:49 pm
Grocery retailers can find a lot of sales — and I mean a lot, $37 billion — in the rapidly growing category of dietary supplements. read more...
- Gallery: Winn-Dixie gets a makeover, Kroger's Main & Vine opens and more trending stories8 February 2016, 3:24 pm
Readers of SN's e-newsletter were also drawn to stories about Publix's push into Virginia, Supervalu's new CEO, and SN's list of the Top 50 small chains and independents. read more...
- Higher expenses, gas deflation sink Ingles 1Q results8 February 2016, 11:59 am
Decreasing gasoline prices, along with higher labor costs, contributed to decreases in sales and net earnings during the fiscal first quarter at Ingles Markets, the company said Monday. read more...
- State of the artisan bread8 February 2016, 10:00 am
Eric Richard New study examines store connectivity of artisan bread purchases A new study examines store connectivity of artisan bread purchases, read more...
- Black Gold Farms: Red is the new color of St. Patrick’s Day8 February 2016, 7:00 pm
Black Gold Farms is letting retailers know that that this year, red is the new color of St. Patrick’s Day. While the color green may be synonymous with the holiday, red potatoes are already part of St. Patrick’s Day feasts, whether they’re Irish or not — and the sales numbers show it. To help make red potato sales even stronger in March Black Gold Farms will be promoting red potatoes as the lucky charm for turning leftovers into a week of great meals. “We will help retailers to tanta...
- Meijer program generates $2.4 million for food pantries8 February 2016, 1:39 pm
The Meijer Simply Give program set a holiday record with $2.4 million for food pantries throughout the Midwest, making it the most successful holiday campaign in the program’s history. Meijer customers donated more than $936,000 during the holiday Simply Give campaign, and combined with a donation from Meijer, set the donation total to more than $2.4 million. The Simply Give program has generated more than $21 million since November 2008 for food pantry partners to restock their shelves and f...
- USDA restricts three California PACA violators8 February 2016, 1:38 pm
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has imposed sanctions on three produce businesses for failure to pay reparation awards issued under the Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act. The following businesses and individuals are currently restricted from operating in the produce industry: The Lexy Group, operating out of Santa Maria, CA, for failing to pay a $42,732 award in favor of a California seller. As of the issuance date of the reparation order, Juan M. Cardenas was listed as the officer,...
- Frieda’s makes big splash with attention-grabbing citrus bags8 February 2016, 12:46 pm
Citrus fruits are enjoying their time in the spotlight, from everyday shoppers to foodies to chefs. And it’s not just during the winter when shoppers are looking for healthier options to brighten up their foods on dreary days. Specialty citrus is here to stay. Once a limited specialty item, Meyer lemons have become increasingly popular. New and unusual citrus varieties like kumquats, finger limes, and Buddha’s hand citron are getting more attention these days thanks to the growth of foodi...
- NJ ag convention and trade show set to kick off8 February 2016, 11:20 am
The New Jersey State Agricultural Convention & Trade Show will be held Feb. 9-11 at the new Harrah's Resort Waterfront Conference Center in Atlantic City, celebrating the 100th anniversary of the creation of the New Jersey Department of Agriculture. The department is hosting the convention in cooperation with the Vegetable Growers Association of New Jersey and Rutgers New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station. The 2016 convention and trade show will open on Tuesday, Feb. 9, with educationa...
- Blooming Breeders
- Dutch Association for the Plant Reproduction Material Sector
- Flower Trials
- International Community of Breeders of Asexually Reproduced Ornamental and Fruit Varieties
- International Plant Propagator’s Society
- International Seed Federation
Florist and Florist Design
- American Institute of Floral Design
- British Florist Association
- Florist Chronicles
- Michigan Floral Association
- Society of American Florists
- Floral Business Magazine
- Florists’ Review Magazine
- Fresh Produce and Floral Council (FPFC)
- New England Produce Council (NEPC)
- Product News-Floral Marketing
- Super Floral Retailing Magazine
Plants & Horticulture
- All-America Selections (AAS)
- American Horticulture Society (AHS)
- American Nursery and Landscape Association (ANLA)
- American Orchid Society (AOS)
- Association of Horticulture Professionals (OFA)
- Association Internationale des Producteurs de l’Horticulture
- Commercialization of Flowers and Plants in Brazil
- Florida Nursery, Growers and Landscape Association
- Garden Center Magazine
- Greenhouse Grower Magazine
- Green Profit Magazine
- Kid’s Gardening
- National Christmas Tree Association
- National Gardening Association (NGA)
- Perennial Plant Association (PPA)
- Plantscape Industry Alliance (PIA)
- Royal Horticulture Club
- Southern Nursery Association, Inc (SNA)
- Association of Dutch Orchid Producers
- Association of Specialty Cut Flowers Growers
- Belbex Trade Association of Exporting Tree and Hardy Nursery Stock Growers
- International Commercial Orchid Growers Organisation
- International Protea Association
- Italian Board for Flower and Plant Wholesalers
- Italy’s National Association for Nurserystock Exporters
- New Zealand Calla Council
- New Zealand Export Growers Orchid Association
- North American Flower Bulbs Wholesalers Association
- Orchid Growers of Hawaii
- Royal Dutch trade association for Nursery Stock and Flower Bulbs
- Royal General Association of the Dutch Bulb Industry
- Taiwan Orchid Grower Association
- Wildflowers Australia, Ltd
- Food Marketing Institute (FMI)
- National Grocers Association (NGA)
- National Retail Federation (NRF)
- Trend Hunter
- Retail Round-Up
- Antalya Cut Flower Exporters Union
- American Floral Endowment
- Brazilian Institute for Floriculture
- Canaries Export Organization for flowers and plants
- Commercial Horticultural Association in the UK
- Dutch Board for Flower Wholesalers
- Flora Hungaria
- Flower Import Trade Association of the UK
- Flowers Victoria
- German Wholesale and Import Organization
- Guatemalan Exporters Association
- International Garden Centre Association
- International Organization of Flower and Plant Wholesalers
- Jordanian Association for Cut Flowers and Ornamental Plants
- OFA-Association of Floriculture Professionals
- Pantone Trend Forecasting
- PMA(Produce Marketing Association)
- Protected Cropping Australia
- Report Linker for Floral
- Union of Flower Growers and Florists of the Czech Republic
- Wholesale Florist and Florist Supplier Association (WF & FSA)